Monday, August 9, 2010

Classic black end table

I found this end table at Deseret Industries a little while ago. I was attracted by its six pulls, which are all attached to the same drawer. When I opened the door and saw that it was a Broyhill table, I was sold. It was sturdy and heavy but the finish was flaking and dated (naturally).



This little table kind of got pushed to the back of the pile, but I was in the mood for a (hopefully) simpler project after the headache my second farmhouse table has been causing me (I will post about that one soon). Then I saw two end tables The Frosted Gardner finished recently (here and here), and I decided this one needed to be black as well!

I painted it with Rustoleum's Flat Black. It doesn't seem to get as gummy as some other brands, which is good for my Critter siphon gun. I distressed the edges a little to show off the pretty details. I love the base and the legs on this table.

I used the original knobs, but painted them with Krylon's Oil-rubbed bronze spray paint.

I gave it a couple of coats of Minwax Hand-rubbed polyurethane to finish.

Did I mention this was a heavy table?? It was a trick to carry it into the house from the garage! I had to get my 13-year-old to help me put it down!

I think it likes me--but I have NO place to put it! Hoping it will find a good home soon!

The DIY Show Off
Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special
/>

Birthday Wedding cakes crafts parties

Furniture Feature Fridays




6 comments:

niartist said...

Great redo! I'm new to your blog, and so happy to have found you! I love blogs that tackle projects, and share them - and have a creative flair! I write Color Outside the Lines, which I hope you have visited - but if you haven't stop by and see me! I do a Friday meme called Vignette Friday's, and I'd love it if you'd join us this week. It's all about sharing those vignette shots of your home or garden, including things you'd made or re-done yourself, or the fantastic finds you might get at a garage or yard sale! I know you'd be inspired, and inspiring - and really isn't that what blogging is all about? :) Hope you'll join me - now off to read more of your great blog! YAY! Take care, Artie.

Rachel said...

I could go seriously broke and in major debt if I bought all the things I want from you!!!

The Frosted Gardner said...

Hi Korrie! I am your newest follower! This little table looks great! What a wonderful find. It is super chunky and fun. Good job giving it new life! Glad I found you.

Melanie

Sabrina said...

This turned out GREAT! I just finished a similar project that I hoping to post on next week. Don't you just LOVE the power of black paint???

Ashlee Marie said...

What a great find! I love all the details to this table, and it looks GREAT in the distressed black. Thanks for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesday's!

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

You certainly gave this piece a new life. It looks great. Love it in black.