Friday, July 27, 2012

Christmas in July—Old World Christmas



Please welcome Linsey from The Farmhouse Porch for Day 7 of Christmas in July!
****************************************






Howdy gals! Linsey here from The Farmhouse Porch. My project for "Christmas in July" is sort of a hodge podge mix of  crafting/art/home decor. You guys know that aging things and giving them patina is my thing. Buying all new is so sterile, buying only old stuff can look stale. But when you mix the two it looks great. The problem with buying old stuff is that sometimes the real deal is really, really expensive. Take religious antiques for example. If you were to try to purchase this antique 24 inch oil painting of St. Jerome here, expect to pay...


Oil painting of St. Jerome
$2,500.00


whoa.


The reason I bring up religious antiques is because I love the look of an old world, European church at Christmas. I happened upon a little saint picture at the dollar store and bought it in the hopes that I could age it to get that "religious artifact" feel. I also set up some simple displays around the picture on my entry table to get the entire look going.


Supplies
dollar store candles

Liquin or other glazing medium, this is what I use to thin my oil paint. I like oil paints rather than acrylic because they just look more "aged" in color and patina to me. Raw umber works well for aging, but adding layers of different browns gives the best patina.
Here is the little 10x12" picture I found at the dollar store.

Before
The colors are too bright and flat.

Here is the picture after one application of glaze plus paint. I am holding it up to the light of the window so that you can see it better. I started by applying it with a balled up paper towel.

Here it is after applying more and more glaze/paint, try to use a few different brushes (like the one with bristles in a fan shape). This will add more layers of brushstrokes. It sounds like lots of work but honestly this all took about 10 minutes.

Here it is after. Another cool thing about liquin is that it makes the oil paint dry VERY fast.

I had purchased this old little beat up frame at an antique shop for about $4 a month ago. At first I was trying to hang it on my mirrors in the background and then I had a lightbulb moment...it's perfect for the little "painting"!!!

To add to the old European church look, I filled a galvanized bucket with dirt.Well actually, I filled it with sand first- from the backyard. Then I smelled something that made me gag. Need I continue the story folks? You guessed it...yellow sand from my pup (I can't believe I'm telling you this. I told myself it was my little secret)! So I chucked the sand, washed profusely, and filled the bucket with CLEAN dirt (is that an oxymoron?).

In the end I think it turned out very pretty though...

This is sort of an understated Christmas look. I love the glitz and glam and glitter of Christmas, but a rustic, natural look can be a striking way to celebrate the "holy days" as well.
-Linsey

Please visit these other beautiful blogs for Christmas inspiration...
Pin It

3 comments:

Sinta Renee said...

Wow, very cool. Thanks for sharing this. I can start hunting for dollar store finds and try out your technique!

miss flibbertigibbet said...

I really love that vintage old world look! great job!

marganm said...

Looks great! Can you share the mix (or proportions) of the oil paint and Liquin?