Friday, May 10, 2013

The Handbuilt Bedroom, pt. 1: Inception

We’ve been in our new Washington home for almost five months now.  Our home has four bedrooms on the second floor, and one bedroom on the main level of the house.  Looking forward to the day when my parents will visit, I knew that I wanted the main-level bedroom to also function as a “guest room,” even though my teenage son occupies it most of the time.

This is what his room looked like for the first few months after we moved in.  Not too special, is it??

Red Hen Home Handbuilt Bedroom before2

Red Hen Home Handbuilt Bedroom before3

The furniture was transferred out of the never-quite-completed “pirate” bedroom in our Utah home (below), and it was put together for a different son!  You can see, though, that a thirteen-year-old boy might not be as excited about the same decor.!

Pirate Bedroom

So I had a brain-storm.  Obviously I have been on a bit of a furniture-building kick (that may be an understatement), and I said to myself, “How would it be to build all the furniture for my son’s bedroom??”

Oooh…challenge extended….

…challenge accepted…!

There has been some tricky navigation going on between me and my son…I want him to have a room that he can enjoy, but something that also will be suitable for guests…AND it has to be something that I can get excited about working on!

So one of the first steps was to decide on colors so I could tackle the painting.  Stripes were a must, as well as healthy dose of red.

I bought and returned three quilts/comforters before I came across this one at Home Goods, which we could both agree on!

Jacob's room colors

With that as a start, it was time to start painting! 

Stay tuned for part 2!

8 comments:

Full Circle Creations said...

Oh how exciting! Can't wait to see what you do in that room!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Somehow I'm not surprised that you are building all the furniture, Korrie! : ) I'm looking forward to seeing the transformation of this room. Happy Mother's Day!

Anonymous said...

It's going to look great I'm sure Korrie!

Lynn Fern said...

You go girl!! I can't wait to see it.

Mindi@MyLove2Create said...

That sounds like fun! I would love to do the same, I just never seem to have enough time! I can't wait for part two! I love the stripped comforter!

Rachel said...

Are you kidding me???? Are you kidding me???? How can you do this to me??? This is worse than having to wait a year for the next novel to come out!!!! It's a good thing you live in WA now or I would be jumping in my car and driving to see what you are up to. I've half a mind to send Sarah to peek and send me photos ASAP!!!!

Bliss said...

After all the stuff you have been building I can't imagine you ever buying furniture again, so I'm not at all surprised you're tackling your sons room.
Bliss

Unknown said...

Can't wait to see what you come up with! I know it will be fabulous!!
Kim