Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The “Free” Waterfall Chest of Drawers

Have you ever surfed the “free” category on Craigslist?  Well don’t.  It’s addicting! 

The siren call of getting something for nothing can be hard to overcome.  I know, because I spent several weeks checking it obsessively for something wonderful.

The hard part is, if you’re not willing to get in the car and go someplace RIGHT NOW, you’re going to miss out on the wonderful stuff.

And mostly, the wonderful stuff…really isn’t.

As my mother said, “If it sounds too good to be true…it probably is!”

But here’s my story!

This is the end result of a pretty little waterfall dresser I picked up FOR FREE! 

Red Hen Home Waterfall Chest 4

When the ad popped up, I excitedly e-mailed the owner, only to find that it had already been spoken for.  <sigh>  Much to my delight, the freeloader before me prior interested party was a no-show, and I was next on the list!

This is what it looked like when I got it.

2013-08-07 09.57.54

Not bad, right?  There were a few chips and dings, and the finish was old and faded, but all the drawers and hardware were there…I picked it up without looking a gift horse in the mouth!

When I got it home, the hidden problems became apparent.  A couple of the drawers were pretty much held together with spit and baling wire, and I think all the drawer guides, slides, and whatsits were missing.

But the exterior was really in such good condition that I couldn’t bring myself to paint it!  So instead, I sanded off the old finish coat and used General Finishes Gel Stain to bring the wood back to life.

Look at this detail!

Red Hen Home Waterfall Chest 2

The problem was that fixing the drawers to work properly was really beyond me.  I could cobble them back together so contents didn’t fall out the cracks, but I really didn’t have a clue how to construct new wood slides and guides.

Red Hen Home Waterfall Chest 3

So this was a piece I chose NOT to take with me to the barn sale.  It did go to a new home via Craigslist yesterday, but of course I had to be completely honest about the condition of the drawers.  I felt bad that I couldn’t really restore it to full usefulness and beauty.

Red Hen Home Waterfall Chest 1

But hey…it cured me of cruising the “free” category on Craigslist…at least for a little while!

***************************

Linking up here:

The Inspiration Exchange Elizabeth & Co.
Primitive & Proper Thrifty Décor Chick
Friday Remodelaholic The Scoop!
Funky Junk’s Saturday Night Special The DIY Show Off
Miss Mustard Seed
Beyond the Picket Fence Coastal Charm
Knick of Time
Domestically Speaking
Perfectly Imperfect No Minimalist Here
Common Ground My Repurposed Life
From My Front Porch to Yours
A Little Knick Knack

9 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

it looks fabulous! i love the vintage goodness and love those inlays!

Cassie Bustamante said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bliss said...

I understand about freebies not being all they are cracked up to be. I'm currently working on a new dresser for my sons room because the free one I picked up had an odor that I could not get rid of.

SImple and Serene Living said...

I'm sure someone with drawer fixing know how is loving it. xo Laura

Susan @ SunflowerHugs said...

It is beautiful. Well, at least you didn't pay for it and then found out about the drawers! I look at my free section several times a day--I can't help it. I have only gotten 2 free things so far. I am usually too late.

bj said...

WHAT...????? FREE stuff on Craigs List.... GOOD GRIEF...I didn't even know that....
excuse me....craigslist.
hahhaa..ain't life grand !!!

Laura @ duke manor farm said...

oh too bad. i have never done the free thing ....yet on craigs list/

My Repurposed Life said...

ohhh, what a nice facelift on a beautiful piece Korrie!

Happy it's found another home...I hope they don't paint it. :)
gail

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Just wanted you to know that you were featured on my blog! Thanks so much for sharing at The Scoop!...hugs...Debbie http://confessionsofaplateaddict.blogspot.com/2013/09/vintage-favorites-from-scoop.html